Congratulations on your new arrival! You have made it through pregnancy and birth and now the real fun begins, right?
Ensuring that bub is happy and healthy is a big priority, but good health and wellbeing is critical for all new mums. The physical demands of mothering – breastfeeding, holding and carrying a baby, around the clock care – are totally different to the physical demands of pregnancy. Not to mention the hormonal, emotional and mental challenges being a new mum can bring – it can all be a shock on the body.
Nutrition, exercise, sleep (do you remember sleep?!) are all important… but it can be hard to focus on maintaining a healthy routine when you’re in a new baby haze. I get it – I’ve lived it!
Untangled Living supports new mums both physically and practically. In addition to our myotherapy and massage treatments, I can support you as a postpartum doula while you adjust into your new role as a mum. Consider it your Mum and Bub 101 course!
Massage is a new mum’s chance to recover from not only from the birth but the nine months of growing new life! Massage can help you to:
- increase vitality and reduce fatigue for mothers,
- improve sleep by soothing nervous tension,
- reduce baby blues and the sense of anxiety and stress,
- regain strength and ease muscle tension,
- relax neck and shoulders and relieve pain from your breastfeeding posture,
- reduce swelling, and
- strengthen and tone abdominal muscles.
Using soft tissue techniques for pregnancy related pain, dry needling, stretches and education on drug-free approaches can help to deal with the aches and pains that can accompany the postpartum period.
Nutritional support for post pregnancy and lactation
The pregnancy cravings might have passed, but then the breastfeeding hunger begins! We provide support, advice and education on nutritional and lifestyle recommendations, how to create a healthy diet to improve post-birth recovery, nutrient requirements post-birth, allergy links, breastmilk production and dietary influences.
Exercise prescription for post pregnancy
The aim of exercise post pregnancy is to maintain your optimal health after the birth of your baby. Once a baby is born, many mums are keen to regain their shape, strengthen abdominal, back and deep core muscles to help deal with the increased physical activity related to the care of a new baby, and prepare for any subsequent pregnancies. A thorough understanding and healthy expectations of the changes that have occurred to your body and mind, during pregnancy, and after the delivery of your baby is essential.
It takes a village to raise a child – but some of us don’t have the on-demand support we need after birth like our mothers or grandmothers did. As a postpartum doula, I will help you to prepare for post-birth and provide the additional support you need once you bring your baby home.
Many new parents say ‘we have no idea what we’re doing’ – so let me help make things a bit easier for you and your partner! Our service includes:
During your third trimester
- Initial antenatal meeting where I will help you prepare for post-birth
- Recommendations for postpartum “must haves” for both mum and bub (and the “don’t bother” items too!)
- Home or hospital visit
- First days with a newborn (how to wrap, bath and change)
- Help with establishing feeding (breast or bottle)
- Sleep and settling techniques
- Encourage the creation of the mother/father-child bond
First 6 weeks
- 6 x 3-hour weekly home visits to support your transition from hospital to home
- Self-care plan, including techniques for rest and relaxation
- Postnatal massage
- Tailored postnatal exercises
- Baby massage and instructions
- Education on using essential oils safely for everyday remedies
- Referral list to other professionals
- Food suggestions and simple meal preparation
- Unlimited phone and email support in between visits
- A second pair of hands – so mum can shower, sleep or drink a cup of coffee while it’s hot
- Extensive pregnancy related books, CD & DVD library resources
- Provide additional information handouts on parenting
- Workshops for mums to be and new mums
- Access to private Facebook group with a community of new mums for support and connection
- Access to Mothers Postpartum Group
To discuss our postpartum doula service or to book an appointment, call 0423 919 319 or book online